Hi,
I am not sure if this is the whole truth...
I can remember that JAWS 5 or 6 can be run on Windows 9x without you being forced to install a Video Intercept like driver on your PC.
However on XP and maybe 2000 as well you are forced to do so.
So, I am not entirely sure why it is on theese systems with more APIs than 9X had in its time.
And there is one other thing I am not sure about.
While the new APIs might be good and all, the question is a bit different.
We established that non Windows API conform objects or controls might be difficult to figure out or read, because we are missing some information which would be given to a scrreen reader via Windows APIs. But if Video Intercept is a kind of filter which gets access to all graphic information present on the screen without blocking the main graphics card, why doesn't the screen reader recognice all non standard API cobjects or controls? Why would we need the Java Access Bridge, when a program not using it still has menus with words written like "open file", "copy", or "exit"?
Shouldn't the whole graphic information read the screen?
I meana moving picture (video, animation) might still be not readable, but static text? It cannot be the font choice which decides what you can read or not, because it is not important what font I use for writing a letter in MS Word, the screen reader can figure out each word and each character...
Or the Flash problem.
If I create a SWF file with the words "hello world" (with Flash 10), and load it into my browser via the object tag in HTML, I might be able to read "Hello world". If I used a program to create a self containing Flash player with the same SWF and run it (it is of no consequence whether the EXE is in windowed or in full screen mode), no known screen reader can read out "hello world". In the case of JAWS, the JAWS Cursor won't go below the title bar of a windowed Flash player and becomes stuck in this upper most part of the window. And no one is able to tell me why...