From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Dakotah Rickard
Sent: 02 May 2012 19:17
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Sony PSP & Ipad

The thing about the Nintendo Wii is that it offers several titles which can
be enjoyed, not only Wii Sports and the sequal Wii Sports Resort (which
offers many more interesting games), but most of the party games as well.

Also, with that console, even if your child is not playing the game at the
same level as a sighted friend, they are still able to enjoy them.

There are certainly several mainstream games which can be played, given time
and patience. And if you are going to help him, the list increases. I
sometimes just sist back and direct my wife to play through a game with me
which would otherwise be inaccessible, and that experience works fine.

It would be very helpful to me, from a recommendation standpoint, to know
what sort of games, books, or pretend play your child enjoys.
Shaun recommended in his first message an enormous list of games and
developers. Certainly every developer and game is worth playing about with,
and those developers are for strictly accessible games, but it would shorten
the list to know what your child enjoys.

I suggest, though, that you do start out with these games, as they are
designed for blind persons to enjoy. I think that even the die-hard console
gamers will agree with me that there is a certain level of frustration in
learning a console that is not present in learning most audio games.

I would also like to offer a cautionery word. Learning how to use mainstream
devices is both easier and more rewarding than it was.
Apple does a fantastic job of making their IPad, IPod, and IPhone accessible
to the blind.d Other companies lag behind, but many are moving slowly in
that direction. However, there are still many devices, gaming consoles among
them, which are not designed for blind individuals to use. We use them,
because we try very hard and are prepared for huge setbacks. Still, I urge
you to be very careful in providing your child with only these devices and
not investigating the audio games which are currently available. I do not
mean that you are failing your child in any respect, and I see that you have
said your son plays games on a notetaker, so it is clear that you are aware
and willing to obtain these devices. I only urge caution and careful
consideration when purchasing a new device which is not blind friendly,
because it can either be tremendously rewarding and last in his mind as a
treasured memory, or it can be frustrating and end up collecting dust in a
closet.

still, I also urge you to experiment and have fun. That is probably the best
path to discovery.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard