To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 12:27 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Gamebooks was Inspector Cindy mystery games.

Hi Dark,

To be honest I'm not too surprised about that. Paper and pen gamebooks were fun back in the day when they were popular, and I think this generation has forgotten that low tech games like gamebooks can be just as entertaining as the flashiest video game on the market. I['m rediscovering that fact myself.

Although, its not technically a gamebook per say I do remember spending hours of time reading and rereading the Choose your Own Adventure books that were popular in the 80's. Like a gamebook it took several times through the book before I discovered all the possible endings, and all the variations on the same story. I spent many hours in my bedroom with the lamp switched on reading through those books. I think I had at least twenty of those books on my bookcase. :D

Gamebooks were just as fun, if not more so, because as you went through the story you could roll dice to determine something random in the game, and then write down your progress on a sheet of paper much like a person does in a table top roll playing game. Sure, it is very low tech, but they were quite fun and didn'trequire an expensive computer or special console to play. You and a friend could sit at the kitchen table playing those gamebooks all day long taking turns reading the story and rolling stats etc.

Lately I've been getting back into interactive fiction as well as gamebooks in part because they are some of the games that are playable on Linux, but I've rediscovered how fun and entertaining they are. I can sit at my laptop on a quiet evening, fire up my web browser, read the gamebook with my screen reader, take notes in my favorite text editer, and roll dice with a simple dice rolling program. More importantly than the simplicity of such games is that I feel connected to the story and game world. Everything is describede in some detail from the large wooden door at the end of the hall with a brass plate on it to the burning candle or torch in the holder on the wall. Its the closest we'll ever get to videogame graphics, and since we can't see pictures having a detailed text description at least gives us the sensation of sight, touch, and smell.

I think any sighted user would enjoy it to, because they can imagine in their head what this or that might look like. Instead of looking at a graphic of the thing it forces or allows them to use their mind to fill in the image. ALayering extra sensations like touch and smell helps complete the picture and makes the game more lifelike. Plus if they are a big reader like me having a good story and being able to interact with its outcome is a big bonus.

Cheers!