From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:45 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Scansoft Realspeak Voices and 64-bit Windows

Hi everyone,

I thought I would just send you a quick message on a very interesting
development that will effect Windows 7 64-bit users. As many of you
know the copy of the Sapi 5 compatible Realspeak voices that shipped
with Jaws 8, 9, and 10 will not install on Windows 7. The issue is
that Freedom Scientific set a launch condition in the setup installer
to fail if running a  64-bit computer, but the voices themselves work
fine on Windows 7 if you get passed that error message. So what I've
done is built a new Microsoft Setup Installer for the voices,
installed them on a 64-bit computer, and am able to use them with NVDA
as well as Jim Kitchens games. So the good news is it is possible to
use the Sapi 5 compatible version of Tom, Caren, Lee, Daniel, Emily,
etc on Windows 7. The bad news is redistributing my setup installer
would be technically illegal so I can't just casually redistribute my
copy.

What I'm thinking of doing here is creating a patch so you could copy
your Realspeak disc to your computer, copy my patch over to the setup
installer, and run it to install the voices on your system. This would
legally cover my backside as I wouldn't redistribute the cab file with
the voice data but only the *.msi file which launches the setup. I was
wondering how many people would be interested in this patch so they
could continue to use the Scansoft Realspeak voices on more modern
Windows machines for games, screen readers, etc?