Hi Tom.

Well with voyager and ds9 I have some thoughts about strengths and weaknesses of the series, but that's sort of outside the main focus of discussion here.

I'm afraid I disagree that science fiction has! to rigidly follow current scientific thinking for a story to work, indeed I've read a good few hard sf novels which were! essentially just extrapolations of existing scientific concepts, but did nothing for plot, setting or characterization. Isaac asimov for instance, while I find his concepts such as the laws of robotics and the idea of psychohistory intreaguing as ideas, I rarely find his characters engaging, and his plots always read basically as mystery style puzzles, ---- very clever puzzles, but essentially just problems that are solved by fairly emotionnless, comparatively uninteresting people.

I also am a little more scheptical of our own scientific knolidge. For instance, Fredrich pohl imagined something very close to the modern internet in the 1950's, with everyone carrying personal computers and keeping in touch, but he believed that such transmissions of large amounts of data without them being corrupted by radio signals or the like would be impossible without certain alien crystal technology.

Now of course, thanks to the digitizing of information and far more efficient ways of receiving various transmissions, we know that no alien crystals are needed to accurately share data across large distances.

So, I personally do not mind an alien race having transporters, faster than light travel etc, provided! it is treated in a consistant and logical way that the reader can understand within the context of the suspention of disbelief of the story.

In doctor who for instance, one of my biggest problems with the current series is how time travel is treated. the doctor is an alien from a highly advanced civilization who have the technology of time travel. Yet, the writers realized that a time traveling hero has the power to solve any plot, sinse after all if anything goes wrong he can just go back and change it. So, they introduced the concept of the blinovich limitation effect, by which if the Doctor actually travels back to his own past to try to change events, he will cause catastrophic damage to the universe, sinse obviously any changes he made in the past might prevent him from going back in the future.

So, though the doctor can! travel around time and space, the abilities of the tardis to solve plots or get him out of trouble are limited, and limited in a way which we can all understand.

In the new series however, the writers seem to be completely ignoring this and treating time travel like magic! indeed I've been extremely disappointed at several episodes where a future doctor suddenly appears and goes "hay, lets solve the plot!"

So, here is an advanced technology, probably impossible under current scientific thinking, yet we can see it can be treated well or badly by a story.

Like wise with genetics. Yes, Belana being half klingon doesn't make much scientific sense, --- -but heck the idea of even mostly humanoid! klingons doesn't make much sense either. It does however present some really interesting opportunities for the character to come to terms with Klingon culture and Klingon features.

On the other hand, when in the doctor who tv movie made by fox the doctor claimed to be half human, it was just utter nonsense, sinse the doctor has never made such a claime before, there is no evidence of half human, half timelords, and indeed the classic series even implied that Timelords weren't born naturally at all! Such a statement was simply the producers deciding that the Doctor needed to be a less alien character, and making up a very implausable reason.

So, while I agree consistancy is the key, I wouldn't want to be tied utterly to science in the plot of a game or indeed fiction, provided that the none scientific elements are consistant.

this is doubly true for a game, where certain elements of technology might need to be considdered in light of game mechanics. For example, one idea I'd heavily considder for an sf based game would be instant, ftl travel where a ship could jump a vast distance very quickly, appearing somewhere else and giving the player another encounter. Provided such technology could be considdered in a reasonable light, and has at least an understandable basis, this would I think be fine.

Beware the Grue!