  From: Thomas Ward
  To: Gamers Discussion list
  Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:32 AM
  Subject: Re: [Audyssey] a bone to pick

  Hi Darren,

  Well, there are a few good reasons for not increasing the message size to 20
KB.

  First, is financial. Whoever maintains the Audyssey domain, server,
  and list will have to pay for extra bandwidth being used by the list.
  The larger the messages the more bandwidth it will take for Mailman to
  post several copies of the same message. That cost will directly
  effect the guy who is paying for the Audyssey domain, bandwidth, etc.
  That happens to be Raul, but there has been discussion of turning the
  list over to me so I can just put it on the same service plan as my
  USA Games account. Therefore the cost would be my responsibility.

  Second, is that the larger the size of the messages the more time it
  will take Mailman to post that message to everyone on the list. I
  realise an extra 10 KB doesn't sound like much on the surface, but is
  actually quite a lot if you sit down and do the math.

  For example, let us say that 50 messages are posted to the list on a
  daily basis. At 10 KB that will equal something like 0.5 MB coming
  into Mailman. Now, Mailman has to copy and repost all 50 messages to
  300 list members which adds up to something like 150 MB in messages
  going out. Now, let's add an additional 10 KB of length to all 50
  messages and watch our output go  from 150 MB per day to 300 MB per
  day. That's something like 9 to 10 GB a month in messages alone.
  That's a dramatic increase that Mailman has to handle when we can cut
  that in half by limiting the message length to 10 KB.

  Finally,increasing the size doesn't resolve the initial problem being
  discussed here. Allen wanted to know if a message was rejected can he
  get his original message back. The answer is no, because the software
  doesn't support that option.  Therefore if a message is 21 KB in size
  and the maximum length is 20 KB someone is still likely to complain
  about the fact they lost their original message simply because he or
  she didn't trim the message in the first place. So increasing the
  length from 10 KB to 20 KB would not resolve the issue being discussed
  and would add additional problems for the list moderators and
  maintainers in the process.

  Cheers!