There is a difference between realism and griefing.  While there are pirates
in space-themed novels who steal, loot, and plunder repeatedly, it doesn't
mean that you should continue to do it once someone is up and knock them
down again. If I want that kind of realism, I'll go live real life.

There's realism for the sake of game balance, and then there is realism that
can stifle.  It cracks me up when fantasy themed games try to go too far to
make things realistic and go so overboard.  Casting magic missile in the
darkness isn't necessary a point to realism either, and yet it's featured in
most of those types of games. When it's stifling and it's far more work,
then it becomes far less fun for me.

I'd be fine with space pirates if people actually roleplayed consistently
and it was more than just blowing up ships just because they don't like
something you said on chatter, or they are OOCly having a bad day.  Pirates
could commandeer ships, screw around with trade prices and values, have
effects on planets. All of these things are things that could be roleplayed
and with a little host help, could come off quite well.  There could be an
opportunity to form a resistance group, to react to what the pirates are
doing. This is cause and effect.  This is build-up. This is role play.

There are some games where notorious villains stop and help out newbies in
their own way.  Why?  Because they understood that other players were the
lifeblood of a mud.  They could have cut them down, been mean and hateful,
but they chose not to and instead chose to lend a hand.  Then later, they
chose to do some awesome roleplay with that player once they'd gotten
established and start conflict.

Blowing up ships, consistently griefing, and holding someone for hours to
stun and strand them  takes no imagination. There is no build-up, no
conflict, it's just someone waving their e-genitals around and proclaiming
that theirs is bigger while hiding behind the 'but it's my character and
that's how I roleplay!!!!!' facade.

But since nothing has been done about it and it won't likely change, it's
just more fuel to feed the beast.

Warmly,
Meka, who apparently has a very strong opinion on this issue.