Just want to clear up some of the confusion/misinfo here.

In general, the only reason a link to an app in the App Store would not work in
your country is if the app itself is not sold in your country. Otherwise, App
Store links work across incarnations of the App Store.

If you click a link to an iOS app from your Mac or PC, it will, depending on
configuration, open in the web browser with an option to view the app in
iTunes, where you can then purchase the app and sync it to your iOS device. If
you click the link on your iPhone/iPd/iPod, it will launch the AppStore app and
display the info for the app in question.

For Mac App Store links, the process is essentially identical.

Hope this helps.