On Tuesday 24 June 2008 06:45:14 am Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> attached an implementation which fixes the 2 issues raised before and also
> does some extra cleanup, but that will need more testing in different Linux
> distributions and with different autoconf versions before it can be
> backported.
>
> as explained before, I don't think is a good solution though as it is just
> extending the original hack (which wasn't really needed either)

Just had another thought with respect to setting lib64 if
host_cpu=powerpc64... The vast majority of the time, a 32-bit userspace is
actually preferred on 64-bit PowerPC -- 32-bit ppc doesn't have the register
limitations 32-bit x86 has. The gains you see with 64-bit x86_64 over 32-bit
x86, outside of addressable memory, don't exist when going to 64-bit ppc
binaries (since ppc32 has a saner register space than x86), and you often get
marginally slower code, since there's an expanded memory footprint. Need for
huge amounts of memory is one of the few reasons to run a 64-bit ppc binary
on a 64-bit ppc kernel.

In other words, yes, lib64 is correct if building a ppc64 binary, but not for
a ppc32 binary, which is actually what most people should be using on a ppc64
system. That being the case, if we automatically swap in lib64 on ppc64, it
should probably be done only if host_cpu=powerpc64 *and* the binary being
built is 64-bit.

Hopefully, I'm making sense here...

--
Jarod Wilson