On Wednesday 02 July 2008 09:37:55 am Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> On 2008-07-02 06:36:41 -0500, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> > The following proposed patch for stable 3.1, replaces the configure
> > routine that tried to guess the libdir directory by assuming biarch rules
> > from fedora linux (breaking all amd64 BSD and x64 Solaris) and overriding
> > the libdir parameter passed at configure time (breaking fedora linux
> > ppc64).
> >
> > Contains changes from r1452, r1467, r1468, r1475 and r1487
[...]
> i would never ever default libdir to $prefix/lib64. there are linux
> distros which default to single arch on x86_64. imho the default should
> always be plain $prefix/lib and if the packager/user is on a biarch
> system he has to specify --libdir.

It seems most single-arch x86_64 distros have a compatibility symlink from lib
to lib64, so it should work fine there too. Granted, yes, this could screw up
a few people using single-arch x86_64 distros w/o a lib64 dir, but the
failure mode should be obvious, and this probably helps more people than it
hurts, since plenty of people building from source on bi-arch x86_64 neglect
to pass in --libdir=/usr/lib64 and can wind up with less-than-obvious failure
modes. I don't particularly care one way or the other myself, so long as I
can pass in the correct libdir via configure, which is always done for rpm
builds, of course.

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]