On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Brad Nicholes <bnicho...@novell.com> wrote:
> Yep, I was also thinking that a RESTful output module for gmetad-python would
> probably be the easiest solution

I haven't used gmetad-python yet so one concern would be performances
and how it'd behave having to aggregate and serve a lot of
data/requests. And another question is how different/harder/easier
would it be to scale a RESTful service in gmetad versus say a
standalone django/pylons app. Plus it would be nice if you could
request a time range or range of values instead of just current, which
would require some kind of  storage and leads me to what I was playing
with: use memcache to store the last n values using
hash(hostname+metric) as key and take advantage of expiration to clean
up old stuff. At this point you can easily put together a fairly
standard web service that can return last or even last-n values
without adding complexity to ganglia. You could make it even smarter
and make it rrd aware so that if you want older data it can be fetched
from there, and you could add support for a freshness check so it
pings gmetad to request last reading's timestamp and use that to
validate data read from memcache, but anyway let's keep it simple for
now.

--
"Behind every great man there's a great backpack" - B.