On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:32:01PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > Jesse Becker wrote:
> >
> >> I think that $rrd_options might be defined in the wrong spot?
> >>
> >> I'm getting lots of "Undefined variable: rrd_options in functions.php"
> >> error
> >> messages in trunk.  It is used in functions.php in two places, as of
> >> r2049.
> >> Digging a bit, I see that $rrd_options is defined at the top of
> >> get_context.php (also from r2049).  get_context.php includes
> >> functions.php,
> >> but not vice-versa.
> >>
> >> It seems that the logical place for this variable is actually in conf.php,
> >> and
> >> then functions.php could call 'include_once("conf.php")'.
> >>
> >> This sound okay, or am I missing something?
> >>

> > The reason I didn't put $rrd_options in conf.php is because it's value
> > is meant to be derived from other variables, in other words, the
> > administrator should not change $rrd_options itself.
> >
> > However, if get_context.php is not always read, then maybe there is
> > another approach: I can create a `do not touch/advanced users only'
> > section at the bottom of conf.php, and things like $rrd_options can go
> > there.
> >
> I haven't seen any other comments on this, so it's now at the  bottom of
> conf.php.in

The only problem that I can think is that since conf.php doesn't get
updated automatically by packaging tools (you don't want to overwrite
the admins changes) a minor update is now more complicated than it
should be. I'll prefer to see not admin changeable variables somewhere
else than conf.php if they are required.

Kostas