From: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Gatornet Admin
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:47 AM
To: GatorTalk
Subject: [gatortalk] Non-Gator Related

I'm not trying to start a non-gator related thread, and the ONLY reason I'm
mentioning it here is because several months ago a large number of us
participated in a thread relating to the mass of layoffs that has hit our
country. Many of us here on Gatornet had been affected either directly or
indirectly by the layoffs, and I indicated that I was one of the casualties,
having been laid off twice during 2008.

Well, the first layoff for me occurred in March of last year and it was by
Sprint, which I have said was the best job I ever had. I loved working for
Sprint, loved my job, loved my teams, blah, blah, blah. Do you get the
picture? Mushy, I know, but true.

Anyway, being laid-off by Sprint affected me traumatically, and I never
really recovered from it. Even though I was hired for a short time as a
corporate controller, the economy forced them to outsource their financials
for 25% of my salary and I was laid off again in October. All in all, 2008
was not a very good year for me or thousands of other people. I know I
wasn't the only one going through it.

I think I'm rambling, so let me try to get to my point.

This past Thursday, after over a week of negotiations (no, I'm not a union
guy - it just seemed to be the appropriate word to use), I received an offer
from Sprint to resume my previous position beginning Monday and with a
substantial raise. I am going from managing 17 sales teams to 26 sales
teams, which will, of course, keep me pretty busy and on the road, but after
spending the last 7 months at home, I WANT to be busy and I WANT to be on
the road!

To say I'm happy would be understating it. I'm actually quite "giddy". I
feel like a young Randy and the best looking girl at school just asked me to
take her to the prom. It was TOTALLY unexpected and an incredible rush of
validation. After months and months of doubting my own self-worth, I realize
now that it wasn't me at all. I just happened to be in the wrong place at
the wrong time. That wrong place was on a list of what some economics expert
determined was "expendable" positions.

Many of us here have been together for over 15 years, so I consider you good
friends even though we might actually only "see" each other once every 5-6
years. I just wanted to share my good news with you, and hopefully the
moderator won't chastise me for this being non-gator related. :)

Oh, did I mention I can't wait for Monday morning? It might be a VERY long
time (if ever) that I dread Monday's again! :)

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us