From: gatortalk@googlegroups.com [mailto:gatort...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of John Vega
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:37 AM
To: gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: [gatornews] Today's Miami Herald and Palm Beach
Post Gatornews from Junogator

On Oct 26, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Jerry Belloit wrote:

I want to take exception to what Dan Mullen is complaining about here.  I
thought the call was close.  I saw the replays and on one of the angles it
looked like he was stripped of the ball before the ball "broke the plane" of
the goal line.  However, none of the angles were definitive.  The official
on the field looked to be perfectly placed on the field to make the call.  I
don't think the video evidence was definitive.  I find it hard to argue that
both officials were "clearly" in error.

Unfortunately, I erased the game so I cannot revisit the replays.  I do
remember that the network tried to make it out as a poor call by using some
sort of a composite image, but they could not account for the angle of the
camera.  In horseracing, the camera is placed exactly on the finish line.
The cameras were not on the goal line on Saturday.  Do any of you that still
have the game recorded think that he was clearly stripped of the ball before
breaking the plane?

Yes, in high def.

There was at least one camera on the goal line, on the same side of the
stadium as the main broadcast (meaning Doe running from right to left).
Remeber the play started at around the 30 and was headed the other way, so
there was no reason to have a lot of cameras on MSU's goal line.

As the ball was in Doe's hand, the goal line camera's view was blocked by
the stride of Doe's left leg. In the field, he had possession; in the end
zone he did not. What was happening while he crossed the plane was not
visible.

There were two other angles, but not goal line angle. Each seemed to have a
problem with parallax (?) distortion, as they were high and away. One didn't
show anything relevant.

On the other, the fumble can be seen clearly but it is impossible to tell
exactly where Doe was at the time, as it was from up and behind (and both
Doe's feet were in the air as he ran, IIRC). Doe looks like he might be in
the field, but his shadow is clearly a yard or so in the end zone, so the
angle of perspective made it impossible to place Doe's position (or that of
the ball) at the moment of the fumble.

To be frank, however the play was called on the field was going to be upheld
as no replay was definitive. From my understanding of the rule, the replay
has to be clear and convincing to overrule the call on the field.

ESPN then did something very clever (and that I do not think that the replay
official has the technology to do). It took the goal line camera and the
view that showed the fumble (the "clear view") and synced them. I assume
that video has time markers that allow this, not sure how exactly accurate
two separate cameras' time lines are in the production booth, but let's say
they are down to the millisecond.

ESPN then stopped the replay exactly when the "clear view" showed that the
ball was loose, and displayed the goal line view next to it in a split
screen. The goal line view showed that Doe had not yet crossed the goal
line, thereby showing that the call on the field was incorrect.

That said, it was a "bang-bang" call on the field and mistakes are easy.
Unlike a goal-line stand, I doubt that the ref was standing on the goal
line, and probably made the call from a distance. The ref was mistaken. The
replays available to the replay official were inconclusive, and he properly
let the call on field stand. ESPN used some clever technology to demonstrate
the mistake. That technology ought to be made available to replay officials,
I doubt that it is currently.

-Zeb

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us