Apparently, Muschamp tried to walk on to Florida before he went to Georgia in '90, and the Gators' DB position coach kept them waitng for hours and them blew them off . This would have been early in the Spurrier years (and no it wasn't Zook - who was hired in 91). Crappy way to treat a recruit, walk on or not.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <wildeart...@gmail.com>
To: <gatortalk@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:28 PM
Subject: RE: [gatortalk] Muschamp...

Auburn - Uga does not have the same relationship as Fla - Uga. We wouldn't
be having this conversation if he'd been a player at Auburn or Alabama, or
pretty much any other SEC team. It's not that he played for another SEC
team, it's that he played for this particular SEC team. All I'm saying is...
well, how hard would it be for, say, Ahmad Black to really despise the
Gators 15 years from now, even if he's paid to do so? He just wouldn't,
right? Do we think we have a corner on the expression, 'once a Gator, always
a Gator'?

Sure, he'll try to beat Georgia -- that's his job -- but it won't have the
same edge. There won't be the tweaks and the digs. There won't be Uga logos in the urinals. He won't be trying to hang half-a-hundred on 'em, or calling last second time-outs to prolong the agony. No football player can learn to hate their alma mater, so he'll want his kids to play hard and respect that fine group of Georgia players. (Arrggg!) On the other hand, if he's as smart
as he's supposed to be, perhaps he'll overcompensate. Who knows? The only
good part of the Uga angle is that it seems to irritate Uga fans more than
it does us. It's always good to tick off the mongrels.

On every other aspect, I really think this is a good hire. On head coaching experience, I would point out that Oklahoma hired one of the country's best
defensive coordinators several years ago, who also had no head coaching
experience, and that worked out okay for them. There are plenty of other
examples, too, as well as plenty that didn't work out. Is it a risk? Yes.
But I think it depends on the person more than on whether they've done it
before. I trust Foley to recognize what it takes to be a winning coach. His
overall track record is excellent.

Anyway, he's our coach and I think he is a good hire. He's passionate, he's
tough, he's smart, he's energetic, his players love him, he's a great
recruiter. He'll need to bring in a really great OC and he'll need to
convince us all that he really is a Gator, but if he isn't smart enough to
figure those things out, then we'll be in big trouble anyway.

I'll come to grips with the Uga thing as soon as my skin stops crawling. As my rational mind starts to reassert control, I'm starting to get excited by
the possibilities.

Rob