I like the current schedule, too, Randy... but for a reason I didn't see you mention. I think playing a couple of lesser teams allows the new team to start finding its way in real play, identifying previously undetected glitches and refining them... and there's nothing like a 70-6 win to boost a team's confidence in individuals and each other.

Plus... it usually allows folks who can't afford season tickets to take their little Gators to games to begin the indoctrination process.

Cee

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Platt" <pcga...@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <gatortalk@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 7:51 PM
Subject: RE: [gatortalk] GatorTalk Poll: First game of the year

I really questioned if I wanted to chime in on this discussion.

Personally, I am fine with the way our schedule is set up.  I would rather
have two games at home against patsies as opposed to a home and home with a head knocker. And really that is what everybody wants, a game against a top 25 team from another conference. I mean whenever this discussion comes up
the teams mentioned are the Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, USC
(west), Stanford, nobody ever says why don't we do home and home with
Baylor, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas or anybody from the big east. And
just for the record, it takes two to tango, I feel pretty confident that
other schools would want a home and home anymore than we want one with them.
The only reason you play those games is to enhance your reputation.  I
believe major college athletics in general and football specifically are a
business and about making money, but not just television and gate revenues, but licensing revenues and booster/donor contributions as well. There is no
doubt in my mind that Jeremy Foley is equivalent to a CEO of a major
corporation.

Another reason I like the schedule format as is, it ensures I get an extra
visit to Gainesville.  Being a season ticket, I attend all the home games,
hot, cold, rain or shine. So if you go to a home and home it would eliminate
a visit.  Since I have already stated that money is the driving factor, I
believe I would still be paying about $1,000.00 (including booster
contribution) for six games instead of seven.

I also see nothing to be gained by playing a tougher out of conference
opponent.  I only see a downside.  Regardless of winning or losing,  a
tougher opponent will not get us any closer to the SECCG or the MNCG, we
still need to win our division and the SECCG to get to the MNCG. However, I
believe such a game may cause us to lose an SEC game due to injuries or
fatigue. Therefore, I see no upside potential in such a game. Granted the
game would be exciting and fun to watch, but I can wait to catch them in a
bowl game.

I really have not thought about the impact such a series of scheduling would have on other teams. My point being how do the UAB's, UCF's, FAU's of this
world improve their lot, since no one wants to play them because they are
deemed a patsy.  Now, Div I-AA (Furman for us this year) or whatever it is
called now, I can see eliminating those games in favor of Div I teams, but I
am not sure everybody could get a 12 game schedule without them.

Anyway, I like the schedule because it give me more chances to get to
Gainesville.

JAFO

Randy Platt

aka "PCGator"

aka "The Armchair Quarterback"

aka "The Other Randy"

Later Gators! Afterwhile the Rest!

PS which of the three games this year FAU, UAB or Furman would you replace
and with whom?  Remember, UAB is the week before we go to UT and Furman is
the week before FSU.

Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996), Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

2008 National Football Champions | Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us