The GB Special Meet on Financial Planning on Sunday 18 March 2007!

Venue: Zouk, Hotel Imperial Palace, Telli Galli, Andheri (East);
Mumbai 400069.

Time: 4-7 pm (with a break for tea and snacks).

Entry: Free.

This Sunday's GB meet will be a special one on the importance of
financial planning for people in the queer community. This is in line
with our other special meetings which have tackled subjects like safe
sex, STDs, depression in the community, legal issues facing the
community, long term relationships in the community and, of course,
our most popular ones, the parents' meets.

In this series financial planning may seem a bit of an odd choice:
why should gay and lesbian people need to think about financial
planning more than other people? Well perhaps it's the 'living in the
moment' thing: for every queer person who has carefully planned their
investments there seem to be many more who haven't even started
thinking about them. Or perhaps it's the lack of having someone else
to plan with: even most straight people usually don't think of
financial planning until they're married and have kids.

Whatever the reasons financial planning is a must and if you haven't
started doing it then all the more reason to come to this point. The
discussion for this meet will be lead by Bala who's an ace at taking
a practical approach to financial planning: how to do it properly,
covering all bases, and without it necessarily taking up all your
time and energy.

Why Financial planning ?

Well, it's just like Safe SEX. You don't like hearing about it,
thinking about it or having to practise it. But you really have no
choice.

So don't say its not for ME! Or I am too young to bother about this!

Well, sorry, but like SAFE SEX there are no exclusions. It's vital
for your own protection and the well-being of the people you love.

The bottom line is you just have to do it.

So all those questions you never wanted to bother about ...

1) Do I need Insurance? How much? Why do they have so many types to
confuse me? Anyways my credit card comes with insurance..?

2) I need to have a house of my own. How do I plan for that? Let's be
practical: not all of us are lucky enough to get them as gifts. And
what do i do with all my credit card bills - they just never seem to
stop coming - you can't expect me not to shop.

3) Who will take care of me when I am 'not so young'? Does life
insurance make sense (especially if I won't have much of a life)? And
what sort of medical insurance will I need?

4) So Ok I need to save & invest. But what next. What do I do with my
savings? How much do I invest, when do I invest, where do i invest?

5) And what about all the tax stuff? I need help - I better hire a
cute accountant (Is there any such thing?!)
Directions: Hotel Imperial Palace is a 5 minute walk from Andheri
station on the East side. Walk up the Andheri Kurla Road (towards the
Highway) and turn right into Telli Galli. It's the 3rd building on
your right.

But if you're driving and taking the Andheri flyover, from West to
East, make a left turn at the signal at the end of the flyover. Or if
you're driving on the highway make a left turn at the Andheri flyover
road and a right turn at the signal before the flyover. This is Telli
Galli. Almost towards the end of this road, close to Andheri Kurla
Road (perpendicular to Telli Galli), is Hotel Imperial Palace, on
your left.
SOME DON'TS:
`GB, as a support group, has created this comfort/safe space for
gays. Many people at the event may be "newbies" (those still coming
to terms with their sexuality and/or those who have mustered the
courage to come to such an event for the first time). We request you
to be sensitive to the comfort levels of others and to behave and
dress accordingly.
`No dark rooms; if found indulging in any "hanky panky" you will be
asked to leave the event.
For more information: www.gaybombay.org.
You have to be above the age of 18 to attend the event.
Right of admission reserved.