So I also tried installing gc3pie with an anaconda python built but this
wouldn’t even install:

==========================
GC3Pie installation script
==========================

This script installs *development version* of GC3Pie in '/home/ttecadm/gc3pie'.

If you encounter any problem running this script, please contact
the GC3Pie team by sending an email to gc3pie@googlegroups.com.

Remember to attach the full output of the script, in order to help us
to identify the problem.

Installation info:

    Destination directory:    /home/ttecadm/gc3pie
    Overwrite existing dir:   ask
    Python executable:        /home/ttecadm/anaconda2/bin/python
    Ask for confirmation:     yes
    Install unreleased code:  yes
    Install gc3apps:          yes
    Optional features:        ['openstack']
    Installer script version: 2.0.3

Are you ready to continue? [Y/n]
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: Applying workaround for Anaconda Python's
incompatibility with virtualenv ...
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: /home/ttecadm/anaconda2/lib/libpython2.7.so ->
/home/ttecadm/gc3pie/lib/libpython2.7.so
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: /home/ttecadm/anaconda2/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0 ->
/home/ttecadm/gc3pie/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0

WARNING
=======

Anaconda Python detected!  I'm creating the virtual environment with a
'--system-site-packages' option, to let GC3Pie programs use all the
libraries that come bundled with Anaconda.  If this leads to errors
related to 'setuptools', 'distribute' or 'pip', then please report a
bug to the GC3Pie mailing list gc3pie@googlegroups.com

Do you still want to proceed? [Y/n]
Already using interpreter /home/ttecadm/anaconda2/bin/python
New python executable in /home/ttecadm/gc3pie/bin/python
Installing pip, wheel...done.
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: Created Python virtual environment in
'/home/ttecadm/gc3pie'
mode of \u2018/home/ttecadm/gc3pie/bin/pip\u2019 retained as 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: Installed Anaconda's version of `pip` into the
virtual env
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: Trying to install or upgrade setuptools ...
<GC3Pie install>     INFO: Downloaded setuptools-40.0.0.zip from PyPI; now
installing it ...
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
gzip: stdin has more than one entry--rest ignored
tar: Child returned status 2

    GC3Pie install: ERROR: Failed to install the latest version of Python
'setuptools'

The required Python package 'setuptools' could not be installed.

Please get in touch with the GC3Pie developers at the email address
gc3pie@googlegroups.com to get help with this error.

If the above does not help you solve the issue, please contact the
GC3Pie team by sending an email to gc3pie@googlegroups.com
(mailing-list subscription required).  Include the full output of this
script to help us identifying the problem.

Aborting installation!