On 5/11/23 2:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Please be serious, and please don't mock your opponents.  This is a
> serious discussion of a serious subject, not a Twitter post.

I responded with precisely the degree of seriousness as the statement I
responded to.

For the record, I believe both statements to have been serious. Not
necessarily correct, but serious.

> Back to the subject: the guarantees I would personally like to have is
> that the current GCC development team sees backward compatibility as
> an important goal, and will try not to break old programs without very
> good technical reasons.  At least in Emacs development, that is the
> consideration that is very high on our priority list when making
> development decisions.  It would be nice if GCC (and any other GNU
> project, for that matter) would do the same, because being able to
> upgrade important tools and packages without fear is something users
> value very much.  Take it from someone who uses GCC on various
> platforms since version 1.40.

This discussion thread is about having very good technical reasons -- as
explained multiple times, including instances where you agreed that the
technical reasons were good.

Furthermore, even despite those technical reasons, GCC is *still*
committed to not breaking those old programs anyway. GCC merely wants to
make those old programs have to be compiled in an "old-programs" mode.

Can you explain to me how you think this goal conflicts with your goal?

--
Eli Schwartz