Hi Iain

On 11/10/2023 09:30, Iain Sandoe wrote:
Hi François,

On 11 Oct 2023, at 05:49, François Dumont <frs.dum...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 08/10/2023 15:59, Iain Sandoe wrote:
On 23 Sep 2023, at 21:10, François Dumont <frs.dum...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm eventually fixing those tests the same way we manage this problem in
libstdc++ testsuite.

    testsuite: Add optional libstdc++ version namespace in expected diagnostic

     When libstdc++ is build with --enable-symvers=gnu-versioned-namespace
diagnostics are
     showing this namespace, currently __8.

     gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog:

             * testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/coro-bad-alloc-00-bad-op-new.C: Add
optional
             '__8' version namespace in expected diagnostic.
             * testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/coro-bad-alloc-01-bad-op-del.C:
Likewise.
             * testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/coro-bad-alloc-02-no-op-new-nt.C:
Likewise.
             *
testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/coro-bad-grooaf-01-grooaf-expected.C: Likewise.
             * testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/pr97438.C: Likewise.
             * testsuite/g++.dg/coroutines/ramp-return-b.C: Likewise.

Tested under Linux x86_64.

I'm contributing to libstdc++ so I already have write access.

Ok to commit ?
As author of the tests, this LGTM as a suitable fix for now (at least, once the
main
patch to fix versioned namespaces lands).
I just realized it was a "go", no ? Then why after the main patch ?

The "main patch" do not fix the versioned namespace. It just makes it adopt the
cxx11 abi.

This patch fixes a problem that is as old as the tests and that is totally
unrelated with the main one. I just wanted to improve the situation so that
versioned namespace mode do not look more buggy than necessary when someone
(like you) run those.
Maybe a misunderstanding on my part.  I was under the impression that
versioned-namespace was currently unusable because it forces the old string
ABI.  If that is not the case, then I guess the changes are OK now.

Said this way it sure makes this mode usability quite limited.

It's only functional to (almost) pass make check-c++ :-)

I am pretty concerned about the maintainability of this tho, hence this …

However, IMO, this could become quite painful as more g++ tests make use of std
headers
(which is not really optional for facilities like this that are tightly-coupled
between the FE and
the library).

For the future, it does seem that a more complete solution might be to
introduce a
testsuite-wide definition for the C++ versioned std:: introducer, so that we
can update it in one
place as the version changes.

So (as a thought experiment):
  - we’d have something of the form “CXX_STD” as a tcl global
  - we’d add the presence/absence of versioning to the relevant site.exp (which
    means recognising the versioning choice also in the GCC configure)
  - we’d migrate tests to using ${CXX_STD} instead of "std::__N”  in matches

… I guess an alternative could be to cook up some alternate warning/error/etc
    match functions that cater for arbitrary inline namespaces but that seems
like a much
    more tricky and invasive testsuite change.

thoughts?
I considered amending gcc/testsuite/lib/prune.exp to simply remove the version
from the diagnostic. But the reply on why it was not working scared me, so this
patch.

https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-September/242526.html
Ah, I didn’t see that mail - will try to take a look at the weekend.

Ok, I'll instead chase for the patches on libstdc++ side then.

Moreover adopting cxx11 abi in versioned-namespace mode will imply a version bump which would force to patch those files again if we do not find another approach before.

Thanks,

François