On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 14:59, Joel Sherrill <j...@rtems.org> wrote:

> Another possible issue which may be better now than in years past
> is that the versions of autoconf/automake required often had to be
> installed by hand. I think newlib has gotten better but before the
> rework on its Makefile/configure, I had a special install of autotools
> which precisely matched what it required.
>
> And that led to very few people being able to successfully regenerate.
>
> Is that avoidable?
>
> OTOH the set of people touching these files may be small enough that
> pain isn't an issue.

For binutils/gcc/gdb we still have to use specific versions which are
generally not the distro's ones.
So indeed, the number of people having to update autotools-related
files is relatively small, but there are other files which are
regenerated during the build process when maintainer-mode is enabled
(for instance parts of the gcc documentation, or opcodes tables in
binutils, and these are modified by more people.

Thanks,

Christophe