Hello,

i've just experienced a 40%+ run-time performance drop that, in fine,
was due to g++ refusing to auto-inline trivial ctors and the like in a
cramped unit (featuring no and forced inlines). That's not the first
time i meet that snafu, but what kinda surprises me is the fact that
i've recently removed more code than added (granted, that doesn't mean
much) and that unit was already being compiled with: --param
inline-unit-growth=10000 --param max-inline-insns-recursive=10000.

I had to bump both by an order of magnitude to get things flying
again. Even if it works, i'm a bit worried that in some not too
distant future i may run out of digits.
That was with gcc version 4.2.0 20060204 and i was wondering if
semi-recently, g++ behaviour regarding auto inlining had been tweaked
or something.

In any case, if there's a better stopgap that doesn't imply
explicitely force inlining everything in sight, i'd like to know. Or
if there's something in the work.

Regards,
tbp.