Hi David,

2. Turn off public access to the code while changing license text in the source.

This is not necessary. (I am assuming here that by "public access to the code" you mean access to the svn repository, not access to the various release tarballs). The repository sources are not an official release. They are part of the development process for future releases. Anyone using these sources should be aware of this and not expect them to remain constant. In particular, in the context of this discussion, no-one should expect that the mainline repository sources will all exist under the governance of just one version of the GPL.

I will be as quick as I can in updating the mainline sources, but it is going to take me a couple of days. I am going to perform the upgrade in an incremental fashion as I do not have the bandwidth to perform a single pass commit of all of the sources.

Cheers
  Nick