At 06:33 AM 7/15/2007, Robert Dewar wrote:
Richard Kenner wrote:
Actually the whole notion of violating a license is a confused one.  The
violation is of the copyright, the license merely gives some cases in
which copying is allowed. If you copy outside the license you have not
"violated" the license, you have simply infringed the copyright, and the
license is irrelevant.
Well, yes and no

Well I disagree with your analysis, but anyway neither of us are
attorneys (though I am a legal expert in copyright and license
matters), and it is pointless to argue such issues here, since they
are really not germane in any case to the fundamental issue of how
to handle the transition.

Agreed -- especially since, on reflection, what I said and what I intended to say were not quite the same thing.

Apologies to all for the noise.

- Brooks