On Aug  9, 2007, Mark Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We entered Stage 2 on July 6th.  I plan to put us into Stage 3 on
> September 10th.  At that point, we will accept only bug-fixes -- no
> more new features until Stage 1 for GCC 4.4.

I was hoping I'd have the new debug info infrastructure, based on
annotations carried all the way from the source code, ready in time.

Even though I already have code to introduce the annotations in the
tree representation, only when generating debug information, and to
carry them over all the way to rtl var-tracking, without any changes
whatsoever to the generated code on x86_64-linux-gnu.  I have already
written (over this past weekend) some code in var-tracking to use
these annotations to generate improved debug info notes, but this last
part still needs some work.

I think it would be nice to offer this new debug info generation
machinery, at least as an option, in GCC 4.3, so I'd like to request
some more time to make it fully functional before I post the very
large patches.

Making it optional and disabled by default would make it very
non-intrusive and safe for stage3, in spite of the patch size, and
would enable a wider audience to give it a try and report problems and
opportunities for improvement.  I'm already aware of many of these,
but I'm not yet at a point in which I can compare the quality of the
generated debug info.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   [EMAIL PROTECTED], gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  [EMAIL PROTECTED], gnu.org}