Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Therefore, my idea to resolve 25137 and make progress in this area would
> be moving -Wmissing-braces from -Wall to -Wextra: the corresponding
> patch, as expected, is trivial, and it would be for me only matter to
> tweak the testsuites a bit (A refinement of that proposal would be doing
> the change only for the C++ front-end)

I don't really have an opinion.  Almost all warnings are sometimes
overzealous (if they weren't, they would be errors!), so I find deciding
where to put things very hard.  It's made harder by the fact that people
only complain about what they don't like, so we don't know how many
people are benefiting from it being where it currently is, but will
complain after we move it.

All that leads me to a conservative position: I'd recommend we just
leave it alone.  People who don't like it can always pass
-Wno-missing-braces.  But, that's not a position I'd argue for strongly.

Whatever we do, I think the C and C++ front-ends should have the same
behavior.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery