On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Rainer Orth wrote:

> * The guide is far from complete: e.g., the libstdc++ configure options
>   are missing completely (they are documented in the XML/HTML manual,
>   but there's not even a pointer to that in the installation guide).  I

I noted that issue at least as far back as
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg00807.html>.  I'd still prefer all
these options to be listed directly in the main installation manual, as I
indicated in <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-07/msg00564.html>,
and indeed for the separate subcomponent installation manuals to go away.

>   fear other libraries have similar problems: I've already printed the
>   output of configure --help for all in-tree configure scripts and plan
>   to check them against the installation guide.  On the other hand,
>   options described in the installation guide are missing from configure
>   --help (again, --with-llsc is an example).

You'll need to check for $enable_ and $with_ variables the scripts
(including config.gcc etc.) are checking directly to find those.  Making
them proper configure options that show up in --help would be a good idea,
I think.

> ** it is highly inconsistent, like commands write with and without
>    quotes, same for target triplets.

For target triplets, probably define a macro and then use that macro to
mark them up everywhere.

> * It's unclear if we want to keep anything from `Old installation
>   documentation'.  This should be decided once and for all and then
>   either incorporated into the guide proper or dropped completely.

I'm not sure the cross-compile install concepts are explained elsewhere in
the manual.  But see PR 5301; everyone uses or produces a script working
for their use cases, rather than documentation, and probably no-one
actually knows general rules covering every possible use case.

The list of short names for particular systems is old and pretty useless
(actually, I'd rather config.sub ceased to support so many variants).
Current lists of CPUs and OSes might be useful, but my preference would be
for install.texi to list all supported triplets rather than fragments of
them.

The *-local support should probably be removed, and the documentation
removed with it.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com