Laurynas Biveinis wrote:
1. (in ordinary non plugin mode, within a plugin-enabled GCC) gengtype
not only generates all the necessary gt*.h files, but also generate an
easy-to-parse textual representation (perhaps in JSON or XML or Lispy
syntax) of all the data it has processed (that is of all the GTY-ed
data descriptors). Let imagine that file will be
gcc-gty-data-descr.json

You might want to look at the gengtype debugging dump support on
gc-improv branch, which I will submit shortly for 4.6 trunk.

Thanks! Yes, I looked at your gengtype.c in your branch, and it is the kind of code I was dreaming of. Usually, in persistency machinery, the code to reload data from the file is a bit more complex than the code to dump it. Do you have any ideas?

And more significantly, do you think that my idea of persisting GTY-ed data descriptors in gengtype is good enough to have: tools (gengtype) & data (e.g. hypothetical gcc-gty-data-descr.json) installed in the GCC installation, and reused by gengtype invocation for plugins, so to remove the harsh constraint of keeping both source & build tree? Or did I forgot something?

Also, what is a summary of the GTY & gengtype improvements (w.r.t plugins) in your gc-improv branch?

Cheers