Steven Bosscher wrote:

> There are lots of other ports that could be dropped to improve
> maintainability of some backends, or even the whole of GCC. That has
> never been accepted as a good reason to drop anything if there are
> still users of it, no matter how few (see pdp11 / vax backends,
> osf/tru64 support, other random unmaintained backends, ...).
>
> What is different about arm-elf?

Nothing is different about arm-elf or FPA.  But, it's always been my
feeling that we tried too hard to cater to ports with very few users.
In any case, please note that here we're talking about deprecating a
feature; whether to remove it is an independent decision for later.  I
think deprecation of FPA is reasonable; at what point removal is
reasonable isn't something we have to answer until *at least* the 4.7
release cycle.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery