On 5/24/10, Richard Earnshaw <rearn...@arm.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 23:15 +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
>> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Mark Mitchell <m...@codesourcery.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I think that maintainability of the ARM backend is indeed the major
>> > benefit to dropping it.
>>
>> There are lots of other ports that could be dropped to improve
>> maintainability of some backends, or even the whole of GCC. That has
>> never been accepted as a good reason to drop anything if there are
>> still users of it, no matter how few (see pdp11 / vax backends,
>> osf/tru64 support, other random unmaintained backends, ...).
>>
>> What is different about arm-elf?
>>

> What's different is that there is a well-maintained arm-eabi port.  The
> arm-elf port and all its legacy just gets in the way.

Imho you are taking a too narrow view here, because...

> The vax back-end only affects VAX; likewise for the PDP11 port.

...all this legacy just gets in the way of gcc as a whole. So I still
don't see the difference.

Nb, I don't oppose deprecating any arm stuff, but I just would like to
know if the justification also applies to other backends/ports.
Patched from me and others were rejected in the past even though the
situation was similar. Under what criteria would such patches now get
support from the RMs?

> I think it's critical that we don't let the tail wag the dog here.

Don't know what this means...

Ciao!
Steven