H.J. Lu wrote:
Hi,

I am working on generating vzeroupper to avoid AVX->SSE transition
penalty.

I have generated vzeroupper on function return as well as function
call.  I am working on a backend pass to eliminate those vzeroupper
instructions when I can prove that the upper 128bits of AVX registers
are dead at the point where vzeroupper is added. To do that, I need
to find out if a register is live at the beginning of a basic block as well
as its size. I thought dataflow might give me such info. But I couldn't
find a way to access such information. Does anyone have any pointers?

DF_LR_IN (bb) returns bitmap of livings prseudo regnos.
DF_LIVE_IN (bb) takes availability info into account.

Size of hard registers is defined by hard_regno_nregs.

It is more complicated if you need the size of pseudo. The class of pseudo is necessary for this but even if you know this there are complicated situations, e.g. on x86 pseudo of FLOAT_INT_REGS in DFmode cant take 2 general registers and 1 float reg.

BTW, I have a PDF file to describe how vzeroupper is added. But
the PDF attachment was rejected by the gcc mailing list. Please send
me an email if you want it.