On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Richard Guenther wrote:

> I also notice that all cc1 binaries are dynamically linked against
> libstdc++ - didn't we want to use -static-libstdc++ and link against
> the libstdc++ we bootstrap?

Yes, that is stated in Ian's slides.  There are a series of related
configure options --with-host-libstdcxx, --with-stage1-ldflags,
--with-stage1-libs, --with-boot-ldflags, --with-boot-libs, which certainly
allow you to do as you wish for cross compilers (you only need
--with-host-libstdcxx there) and probably for other configurations, but
maybe the defaults are currently wrong.  There are at least three useful
cases for native compilers (link statically, link dynamically, link
dynamically with an RPATH using $ORIGIN); the last is probably the
trickiest because of getting that $ through a series of levels of shell
and make.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com