On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 09:19 -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > The reason why a new triplet is required is that config.guess needs to
> > generate it when running native.  Config.guess is the only way to
> > communicate the information needed for a native compiler when no other
> > information is communicated on the command line, and it only reports a
> > triplet.
>
> Why not fix this?  For example, it could also give back configure
> options (--with-float=hard) that should be implicitly assumed to have
> been provided.

That would be useful for GCC perhaps, but not for other projects that
use config.guess (which is part of the generic GNU infrastructure).  If
those extra args could be made invisible to other users; then that might
be a way forward.

> It really does seem like a hack to use triplets in this way; I think
> Paul's point that anything that depends on the toolchain triplet to
> determine ABI is inherently busted is pretty persuasive.

Which means the whole GNU way of doing this has always been busted,
since that's essentially how the world has always worked... :-)

R.