> The GCC middle end use is for me mandatory (since it is contractual). I
> am expecting to work on Gimple to OpenCL translation, whatever that
> means. The saling point it that starting from GCC & gimple gives the
> hypothetical enduser all the power of GCC.

Given the current limitations of Gimple, another area to focus on could be
task parallelism (rather than data parallelism).  In that case a language
like [Google] Go (via GCC) might make a better talking point than C or
Fortran.  That is, some very multithreaded application that touches data
in an irregular and unpredictable fashion.  The OpenCL angle would be to
facilitate multiplexing the coroutines on GPU hardware.