On Oct 31, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Paul Koning <paul_kon...@dell.com> writes:
>
>> What triggered the question is that I'm trying to debug a testsuite
>> ICE in fortran, pdp11 target, where it aborts in
>> convert_memory_address_addr_space apparently trying to make a 32 bit
>> pointer.  But only 16 bit pointers are valid, ptr_mode is HImode as
>> expected and as far as I can tell from gccint everything is set up
>> correctly for that to be the only pointer type.  I don't have
>> TARGET_VALID_POINTER_MODE defined and from what the documentation says
>> it doesn't seem like I have to.  So where should I look to find an
>> explanation for why the fortran compiler is trying to make an SImode
>> pointer?
>
> This should not happen and I agree that TARGET_VALID_POINTER_MODE is
> irrelevant here.  This sounds like a bug somewhere but I don't know
> here.  In the absence of additional information, like which test case is
> failing, all I can advise is to debug it to find out where the invalid
> pointer mode is coming from.

I've changed the subject string to match better what we're talking about...

aaa-5v57ooxfyrm:build pkoning$ pdp11-aout-gfortran -mfloat32
/Users/pkoning/Documents/svn/gcc/gcc/testsuite/gfortran.fortran-torture/compile/pr32663.f
/Users/pkoning/Documents/svn/gcc/gcc/testsuite/gfortran.fortran-torture/compile/pr32663.f:
 In function ‘dimoid’:
/Users/pkoning/Documents/svn/gcc/gcc/testsuite/gfortran.fortran-torture/compile/pr32663.f:54:0:
 internal compiler error: in convert_memory_address_addr_space, at explow.c:327
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
aaa-5v57ooxfyrm:build pkoning$

I see the same for a couple of different fortran compile testcases; this is the
first of those.  (In fact, right now I get 32 testsuite fails for Fortran, all
caused by this one issue.)

>From some code reading I'm guessing that this problem occurs when RTL is being
>generated from the tree, so I tried looking at the tree dumps.  That didn't
>tell me much; I've never looked there and don't really know what to look for.

        paul