Hello All,

Even with the help of very nice people and of the gcc@ list, I am unable to
use git for GCC MELT with ease. I tried this entire week without success....

My only issue is merging the trunk into GCC MELT but since this is something
I am doing several times a week, it makes me temporarily give up the use of
GIT (which I find otherwise very nice).

GCC MELT has an important property: is is almost entirely a strict superset
of the trunk. To be more precise, the only difference between GCC MELT and
the trunk are

   * lots of MELT specific files or directories: their name contain melt or
     MELT inside.

   * significant differences in building procedures that is in configure.ac
and Makefile.{tpl,def} & Makefile.in files (either toplevel source directory
or gcc/ subdirectory). The MELT branch is conceptually only adding things.
The MELT branch building is buggy (for example, make -j don't work, so you
need to do a serial make) and I am trying progressively to improve it, but
moving code out of files and using include features...

  * very small differences in the code proper:

     a. Several MELT specific options -mostly named -fmelt-* - to
     gcc/common.opt

     b. The gcc/toplev.c adds call to melt_initialize() & melt_finalize()

Of course, the similarity of MELT with the trunk is one purpose, since MELT
is designed to be compilable as a plugin. Actually, even in the MELT branch,
the MELT propoer code is a quasi- or pseudo- plugin.

Given the above properties of GCC MELT, with the svnmerge tool from
subersion-tools package (in Debian) the merge of trunk into MELT is just
running
   svnmerge merge

and then rebuilding to check that everything is ok. Most of the time (that
is, when the trunk did not touch gcc/toplev.c or gcc/common.opt or build
files like Makefile.in...) I'm getting not conflict with that. With git I
always got hundreds of conflict... So I am temporarily giving up using GIT.

Aopparently, git is a very powerful tool, and there is some GCC specific way
to use it which I did not understood. I have no issues using git on small
projects. There are many things I don't understand in git.

By the way, if you happen to be in Paris' region (in France) and have a few
yours to help me face to face mastering GIT for GCC MELT, I would be
grateful. I really need to meet people in person & talk to them face to face
(and I don't have IRC) with my laptop.

Regards.

PS. By the way, git clone-ing the GCC git repository takes a lot of time
from Europe. Perhaps having a daily tar ball of the result of that command
available by ftp would be very nice....