On 01/22/2013 07:42 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:
I believe we required an explicit attribute on the forward declaration
in such a case.

The question is, what do we want to do for a user type that, say, has a std::string field. Rejecting the program would be non-conforming, but otherwise we're likely to get different mangling in different translation units.

Templates also present a problem, as we can't propagate the tags until we instantiate, which might not be required when just passing pointers around.

As a result of these issues, I decided that the best we can do is to warn if a type is missing a tag that one of its subtypes has.

Jason