On 9 February 2013 23:49, Jay K wrote:
> problems compiling 4.7, with Solaris cc and/or Solaris CC (C++)
>

> 1) ENUM_BITFIELD is not portable. I've reported this before.

Have you reported it to bugzilla?

> It is likely that in 4.8 this is moot, as the C++ case will be the only one
> remaining.

Then it's not likely, it's definite.

> I do use -disable-bootstrap, to drastically cut build times.
> It is possible that contributes to "the problem", but I also think these
> are reasonable changes and -disable-bootstrap is really nice to use, it
> saves a lot of time and these aren't awful ancient non-optimizing host
> compilers.

It's not really reasonable to disable bootstrap if you're using a
compiler that can't compile post-stage 1.

The point of bootstrap is to start from portable sources and get a
working compiler, if you refuse to bootstrap then you shouldn't really
complain that the source can't be built with your compiler. It's meant
to be built by GCC.