Have there been any implementations of gcc for a 32 bit pointer system where the registers are 64 bits long?

I was looking at AArch64 and wondering about whether it mightn't be better for a 32 bit system than AArch32 if all the pointers were 32 bit, and as far as the ABI is concerned half the general registers were treated as 32 bit. If more than 32 bits of address space were put in it could be used for data by using assembler inserts to use a long pointer to access it. I can't see any particular problems but that doesn't mean there aren't any great big ones!

David McQuillan