A question regarding regalloc (probably greg?)

I understand that matching constraints can constrain allocation to
re-use registers, e.g. for an 'add' actually has 2 instruction
operands (instead of 3). This is documented well. But what about if I
do not necessarily constrain the output template, e.g. zero extend
output template <myzeroextend> %1, %0. Does the register allocator by
default assume  the machine can have %1==%0 (e.g. use edge of %0
interferes with define edge %1)? Anything else would surprise me, just
making sure?

Thanks,
Hendrik