Hello.

I am sending this at the behest of Renato.  I have been working on the ARM
integrated assembler in LLVM and came across an interesting item in the Linux
kernel.

I am wondering if this is an unstated covenant between the kernel and GCC or
simply a clever use of an unintended/undefined behaviour.

The Linux kernel uses the *compiler* as a fancy preprocessor to generate a
specially crafted assembly file.  This file is then post-processed via sed to
generate a header containing constants which is shared across assembly and C
sources.

In order to clarify the question, I am selecting a particular example and
pulling out the relevant bits of the source code below.

#define DEFINE(sym, val) asm volatile("\n->" #sym " %0 " #val : : "i" (val))

#define __NR_PAGEFLAGS 22

void definitions(void) {
  DEFINE(NR_PAGEFLAGS, __NR_PAGEFLAGS);
}

This is then assembled to generate the following:

->NR_PAGEFLAGS #22 __NR_PAGEFLAGS

This will later be post-processed to generate:

#define NR_PAGELAGS 22 /* __NR_PAGEFLAGS */

By using the inline assembler to evaluate (constant) expressions into constant
values and then emit that using a special identifier (->) is a fairly clever
trick.  This leads to my question: is this just use of an unintentional
"feature" or something that was worked out between the two projects.

Please explicitly CC me on any response as I am not subscribed to this mailing
list.

Thanks.

--
Saleem Abdulrasool