On 4 August 2016 at 22:01, DJ Delorie <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Manuel Lpez-Ibñez <lopeziba...@gmail.com> writes:
>> I don't see how that helps. Neither my message nor Thomas's is a
>> criticism of people. The question is how to get more people to help
>> and how to improve the situation. For sure, everybody is doing the
>> best that they can with the time that they have.
>
> You complained that there were no libiberty maintainers (there are two)
> or build maintainers (there are many).  As I am listed as one of each of
> those, this makes me wonder if there's no longer a need for such people
> (we're involved so infrequently that nobody notices) or that I'm just
> not able to put enough effort into it to be noticed (which may be true
> anyway).

My perception is that the "official" libiberty and build maintainers
rarely review patches anymore. See:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-07/msg01973.html and the lack
of follow-up.
Jeff Law seems to be doing most of the reviewing work nowadays in both
areas (and many others).

This is not a criticism of them. They are not obliged to review
anything and much less anything in particular. I'm sure there are many
reasons for their lack of involvement. I have basically not
contributed any code in almost a year. Just wanted to point out that
Thomas's email is not an isolated outlier.

The answer is not "let's delete them/ask them to step down". Even if
someone reviews one patch once in a decade, there is no point in
preventing them from doing so by removing them from MAINTAINERS. Maybe
they will become more active in the future. From my point of view,
they may stay in MAINTAINERS as long as they wish and any little help
is welcome.

Cheers,

Manuel.