On Mon, 7 May 2018, Indu Bhagat wrote:

> Q2. If one wants the compiler to generate fminnm/fmaxnm instructions, while
>     conforming with IEEE standard, the way to do that will be to use math
>     builtins fmin()/fmax(). Is this correct understanding?

For IEEE 754-2008 minNum / maxNum operations, which those instructions
correspond to and fmin and fmax bind to, yes.  For IEEE 754-2018 (in
progress), there are different minimum / maximum operations, which don't
match those AArch64 instructions (but some do match RISC-V instructions),
and there are new proposed corresponding C functions such as fmaximum and
fminimum_num (I don't know of implementations of those functions).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com