On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 8:59 PM Paul E. McKenney <paul...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 05:58:48AM +0530, Akshat Garg wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 9:49 PM Akshat Garg <xks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > [CCing gcc mailing list]
> > >
> > > So, shall I start looking over the pointer optimizations only and see what
> > > information we may be needed on the same examples in the IR itself?
> > >
> > > - Akshat
> > >
> > I have coded an example where equality comparison kills dependency from the
> > document P0190R4 as shown below :
> >
> > 1. struct rcutest rt = {1, 2, 3};
> > 2. void thread0 ()
> > 3. {
> > 4.     rt.a = -42;
> > 5.     rt.b = -43;
> > 6.     rt.c = -44;
> > 7.     rcu_assign_pointer(gp, &rt);
> > 8. }
> > 9.
> > 10. void thread1 ()
> > 11. {
> > 12.    int i = -1;
> > 13.    int j = -1;
> > 14.    _Dependent_ptr struct rcutest *p;
> > 15.
> > 16.    p = rcu_dereference(gp);
> > 17.    j = p->a;
> > 18.   if (p == &rt)
> > 19.        i = p->b;  /*Dependency breaking point*/
> > 20.   else if(p)
> > 21.       i = p->c;
> > 22.   assert(i<0);
> > 23.   assert(j<0);
> > 24. }
> > The gimple unoptimized code produced for lines 17-24 is shown below
> >
> > 1. if (p_16 == &rt)
> > 2.     goto <bb 3>; [INV]
> > 3.   else
> > 4.    goto <bb 4>; [INV]
> > 5.
> > 6.  <bb 3> :
> > 7.  i_19 = p_16->b;
> > 8.  goto <bb 6>; [INV]
> > 9.
> > 10.  <bb 4> :
> > 11.  if (p_16 != 0B)
> > 12.    goto <bb 5>; [INV]
> > 13.  else
> > 14.    goto <bb 6>; [INV]
> > 15.
> > 16.  <bb 5> :
> > 17.  i_18 = p_16->c;
> > 18.
> > 19.  <bb 6> :
> > 20.  # i_7 = PHI <i_19(3), i_8(4), i_18(5)>
> > 21.  _3 = i_7 < 0;
> > 22.  _4 = (int) _3;
> > 23.  assert (_4);
> > 24.  _5 = j_17 < 0;
> > 25.  _6 = (int) _5;
> > 26.  assert (_6);
> > 27.  return;
> >
> > The optimized code after -O1 is applied for the same lines is hown below :
> >
> > 1. if (_2 == &rt)
> > 2.    goto <bb 3>; [30.00%]
> > 3. else
> > 4.    goto <bb 4>; [70.00%]
> > 5.
> > 6.  <bb 3> [local count: 322122547]:
> > 7.   i_12 = rt.b;
> > 8.   goto <bb 6>; [100.00%]
> > 9.
> > 10.  <bb 4> [local count: 751619277]:
> > 11.   if (_1 != 0)
> [...]

The usual way to check the output of an optimization pass is by
dumping the intermediate code at that point and matching the dump
against a regexp, as in the tree-ssa directories in the testsuite.
-fdump-tree-all will dump after all the gimple optimization passes,
and you can look through them until you find the breakage.

Jason