On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Paul E. McKenney <paul...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
> bugs, at least.  :-/
>
>         struct foo {
>                 int a;
>                 int b;
>         };
>
>         _Dependent_ptr struct foo *p;
>
>         p = atomic_load_explicit(gp, memory_order_consume);
>         a = p->a;
>         b = p->b;
>
> And then let me tweak the example a bit.  For the first tweak:
>
>         struct foo {
>                 int a;
>                 int b;
>         };
>
>         struct foo default_foo = { .a = 42, .b = 43 };
>         int *gp = &default_foo;

>         _Dependent_ptr int *p;
>
>         p = atomic_load_explicit(gp, memory_order_consume);
>         a = p->a;
>         b = p->b;
>
> Suppose that the compiler used feedback-driven optimization, and noticed
> that the value of gp was almost always &default_foo.  The compiler might
> decide to transform the last three lines as follows:
>
>         p = atomic_load_explicit(gp, memory_order_consume);
>         if (p == &default_foo) {
>                 a = default_foo.a;
>                 b = default_foo.b;
>         } else {
>                 a = p->a;
>                 b = p->b;
>         }
>
> Now, as long as the value of gp had remained &default_foo for the full
> duration of execution, no harm done.  But suppose the following code
> was executing concurrently with the above transformed code:
>
>         struct foo *q;
>
>         q = malloc(sizeof(*q));
>         assert(q);
>         q->a = 1729;
>         q->b = 1730;
>         atomic_store_explicit(gp, q, memory_order_release);
>         do_something();
>         default_foo.a = 1;
>         default_foo.b = 2;
>         atomic_store_explicit(gp, &default_foo, memory_order_release);
>
> In this case, if the memory_order_consume() came just after the pointer
> was reset to &default_foo, it is possible that the transformed code
> would set "a" to 42 and "b" to 43, which might not be what the guy
> writing the code wanted to happen.
>
> One of the purposes of _Dependent_ptr is to prevent this transformation.
>
> This transformation can also happen if the developer's code contained a
> comparison to &default_foo -- an ARM or PowerPC compiler backend, upon
> seeing two pointers containing the same bits, would likely consider the
> two pointers as being interchangeable, and thus might do the dereferences
> using the copy that was not tagged with the hardware dependencies.
>
> There are quite a few other examples.  The C++ standards committee
> working papers shown below go through a number of them, in case the
> above example is not convincing.  Or you could tell me what you would
> like to see, and I would attempt to find/create a suitable example.
>
> Does that help, or am I missing your point?

Browsed through that resources, so yes.  So the important thing
is that data dependences in the source are not to be removed or
replaced by control dependences because that enables out-of-order
execution on the CPU (or by the compiler).  This is only needed
for data typed with the _Dependent_ptr qualifier.

I think fully guaranteeing this is hard (besides when you use
volatile), we have the very same issue when dealing with
pointer provenance rules, known for years and not fixed
(and I don't see a good way to fix these issues without
sacrifying performance everywhere).

Good luck ;)

Maybe performance isn't so much of an issue for _Dependent_ptr
(compared to when all pointers are affected).

Richard.