On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 12:43:52PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> > On Aug 8, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Vladimir Makarov <vmaka...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > The old reload (reload[1].c) supports such addressing.  As modern
> > mainstream architectures have no this kind of addressing, it was not
> > implemented in LRA.
>
> Is LRA only intended for "modern mainstream architectures"?

I sure hope not!  But it has only been *used* and *tested* much on such,
so far.  Things are designed to work well for modern archs.

> If yes, why is the old reload being deprecated?  You can't have it both ways.
>  Unless you want to obsolete all "not modern mainstream architectures" in
> GCC, it doesn't make sense to get rid of core functionality used by those
> architectures.
>
> Indirect addressing is a key feature in size-optimized code.

That doesn't mean that LRA has to support it, btw, not necessarily; it
may well be possible to do a good job of this in the later passes?
Maybe postreload, maybe some peepholes, etc.?

Segher