On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:06 PM John Darrington
<j...@darrington.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:07:11AM -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
>      > ? As I remember there were a few other ideas from Richard Biener and
>      > Segher Boessenkool.? I also proposed to add a new address register
> which
>      > will be always a fixed stack memory slot at the end. Unfortunately I am
>      > not familiar with the target and the port to say in details how to do
>      > it.? But I think it is worth to try.
>
>      The m68hc11 port used the fake Z register approach, and I believe it had
>      some special machine pass to get rid of it right before assembler output.
>
>      (r171302 is when it was removed -- last version was
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=gcc/config/m68hc11/m68hc11.c;h=1e414102c3f1fed985e4fb8db7954342e965190b;hb=bae8bb65d842d7ffefe990c1f0ac004491f3c105#l4061
>      for the machine reorg stuff).
>
>      No idea how well it works...  But it's only needed if you are forced to
>      have a frame pointer IIUC?
>

>      Segher
>

> Most of these suggestions involve adding some sort of virtual registers
> So I hacked the machine description to add two new registers Z1 and Z2
> with the same mode as X and Y.
>
> Obviously the assembler balks at this.  However the compiler still
> ICEs at the same place as before.
>
> So this suggests that our original diagnosis, viz: there are not enough
> address registers was not accurate, and in fact there is some other
> problem?

That sounds likely.  Given you have indirect addressing you could
simulate N virtual regs by placing them in a virtual reg table in memory
and accessed via a fixed address register (assuming all instructions
that would need an address reg also can take that indirect from memory).

Richard.