Hello Guys,

I am working on OpenCL for a couple of years, and would like to ask, as for
GCC, why not taking OpenCL C as a built-in language in its front-end?

As we know, most OpenCL kernel compilers are built based on Clang/LLVM, and
now, Clang has taken the OpenCL C language as one of its built-in languages. On
the other hand, I found no OpenCL implementations which are based on GCC. Do
you have any idea of the reasons?

I have this question because some devices may not have LLVM backends, but only
have their backends in GCC. In such a case, a natural way is to add a new
font-end into GCC, and build a kernel compiler based on the GCC compiling
passes. What are the difficulties behind this idea?

Regards,
Jianbin