On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:

> > It appears that .gitignore has been added in r1 by reposurgeon and then
> > deleted at r130805.  In SVN repository .gitignore was added in r195087.
> > I speculate that addition of .gitignore at r1 is expected, but it's
> > deletion at r130805 is highly suspicious.
>
> I suspect this is one of the known issues related to reposurgeon-generated
> .gitignore files.  Since such files are not really part of the GCC
> history, and the .gitignore files checked into SVN are properly preserved
> as far as I can see, I don't think it's a particularly important issue for
> the GCC conversion (since auto-generated .gitignore files are only
> nice-to-have, not required).  I've filed
> https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon/issues/219 anyway with a reduced test
> for this oddity.

This has now been fixed, so future conversion runs with reposurgeon should
have the automatically-generated .gitignore present until replaced by the
one checked into SVN.  (If people don't want automatically-generated
.gitignore files at all, we could always add an option to reposurgeon not
to generate them.)

I'll do another GCC conversion run to pick up all the accumulated fixes
and improvements (including many more PR whitelist entries / fixes in
Richard's script), once another ChangeLog-related fix is in.

--
Joseph S. Myers
j...@polyomino.org.uk