On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Jason Merrill wrote:

> I think we're prohibiting merges to master.  We definitely don't want
> merges of branches with commits that don't each satisfy the normal rules
> for commits.

Yes.  The hooks prevent pushing a merge commit to master or a release
branch.  A branch can still end up as multiple commits on master, if there
are multiple logically separate changes there (in which case it *should*
end up as multiple commits, one for each change that makes sense on its
own), but each of the commits that ends up on master should be correct in
itself (as far as known at the time they are pushed), to support
bisectability.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com